Sunday, May 3, 2009

what a day...

It’s Friday, it’s a relief that the weekend was near, every one of us might be thinking of getting an early off.

While I was staying in the hospital around with the Med B team in the morning for the ward round, suddenly a patient of ours had a Med Call as the oxygen Sat was just 50% under RA and unresponsive!!! The patient was a morbidly obese, and the resuscitation was taking quite a big effort especially in getting the iv line into the veins for the ABG, blood testing and also iv infusion of medication. The patient Sat return to 100% with the manual hand mask, what a dramatic recovery!! And the Sat maintained at around 95% under 3L oxygen. The differential diagnosis of the low Sat was probably due to OSA (obstructive sleep apnoea), that caused the obstruction of the airways, and eventually lower the saturation of the oxygen in the blood. In the progress, the ICU doctors were actually around to assist. It’s the first time I witness an ABG procedure done. Yeah, another great learning chance, although it’s not the first Med calls I witnessed, it’s just the first one I got more involved in as I knew the patient as well!

I went out a while to bring my dear gf to see GP for her neck stiffness and pain. Yeah, finally we found a good GP in Dandenong area with the cover of the health insurance!! The GP was so caring and kind, in addition the GP clinic was just 5 min drive away from my house!! Next time I guess I won’t be visiting another GP in Dandenong West, who seems like didn’t know much..LOL…


pictures taken from abc.net.au

In the afternoon, due to the business of the team, they’re still having a never-ending ward round. And that’s time I got the opportunity to admit a patient from ED!! It’s so cool, to have the chance to take history and examine the patient in ED! The patient came in with shortness of breath, vomiting, and diarrhoea for a month. The patient had a friend who was originated from Singapore in ED. It’s another great experience for me to understand the procedure of the hospital care, and also the responsibility of the medical team. While I was talking to the nurse about the patient, suddenly I heard the camera shuttle sound! The patient actually took a photo of mine with the friend without my consent and taking it while I didn’t realise!!! ……. I was speechless, should I stop them, or just felt proud that the patient wanted my photo?!?!

What a day…
I really enjoy hospital life :)

3 comments:

*jeSSicA* said...

oh, it actually surprised me that u said it's ur first time observing an ABG done...coz i thought u would have seen a few done when u were in Med D =P



p/s: is the pt a young female? or elderly lady? wahahaha

Chin Yen Ryan said...

LOL...not a first ABG i saw, just the one I was so involved into. :)

Patient is a.........patient ...details are confidential :P

Dr Yingzangel said...

walala....just because of my stiff neck, I missed out soooo much :(